To host Helix ALM, Helix ALM License Server, or Surround SCM data in a SQL Server database, you must create an ODBC system data source name (DSN) to store database connection information. Each SQL Server database you create to use with Helix ALM products requires a unique DSN.
Note: The following steps apply to Windows 7. Refer to the Windows help if you use a different version.
- Create an empty database in SQL Server.
- Choose Start > Control Panel > System and Security.
- Click Administrative Tools.
- Double-click Data Sources (ODBC). The ODBC Data Source Administrator dialog box opens.
- Click the System DSN tab and then click Add. The Create New Data Source dialog box opens.
- Select the SQL Server driver and click Finish. The Create a New Data Source to SQL Server dialog box opens.
Note: The driver must support connections to the SQL Server version used to create the database. See the SQL Server documentation for information about driver compatibility or ask your DBA for help.
- Enter a unique Name. If possible, use the same name as the database so it is easy to identify the associated DSN.
- Enter a Description, such as the purpose of the database.
- Select the SQL Server that hosts the database and click Next.
- Select an authentication option and click Next.
- Select Change the default database to. Select the database you created from the list. Do not select the default or master database because this may cause SQL Server problems.
- Select the following options and click Next.
- Use ANSI quoted identifiers
- Use ANSI nulls, paddings, and warnings
- Select Perform translation for character data and click Finish. A preview of the DSN configuration is displayed.
- Click Test Data Source to make sure the DSN can connect to the SQL Server. If the connection fails, use the Back buttons to update the settings.
- Click OK to add the DSN.
- Click OK to close the OBDC Data Source Administrator.
After the DSN is added, select it when changing or converting the server database in the license server admin utility or adding an RDBMS connection in the Helix ALM Server Admin Utility or Surround SCM.