XML import/export includes the following advantages over text file import/export:
- You do not need to match fields when importing or exporting records.
- You can import and export multiple Reported by records.
- You can import and export multiples of the same actions.
- You can import and export more than one record type (e.g., defects and users) in a single file.
- You can import and export file attachments associated with records.
Exporting XML files
- Choose File > Export > XML Export.
- Select the type of records you want to export. To export multiple record types, Ctrl+click each record type. For example, Ctrl+click Users and Test Configurations to export this type of information.
- Select the Export Options if you are exporting defects.
- Click Export. The Export XML File dialog box opens.
- Select the file location, enter a file name, and click Save.
- The Export XML dialog box closes and you return to the list window.
Importing XML files
- Choose File > Import > XML Import.
- Click Browse to select a file to import. The Open XML File dialog box opens.
- Select the file and click Open. The file you selected is listed in the Import File area on the XML Import dialog box.
- Select any import options.
- Click Validate XML File to validate the file.
- The XML Import Warnings and Errors dialog box opens, showing the results of the validation testing.
- If the XML format is valid, click Import to import the records.